Measure Development Manager - Programs
Energy Trust of Oregon is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to energy efficiency
and renewable energy development. We serve Oregon customers of Portland General Electric,
Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas and Avista, and Washington customers of NW Natural. In 2019, Energy Trust was recognized as one of the 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For In Oregon.
Energy Trust is committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a culturally attentive organization by reach out to diverse candidates who will contribute a range of perspectives, experiences, skills and ideas to how we work, our programs and our services to best serve, reach and reflect the rich diversity of the customers we serve.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Manager in Programs for energy efficiency measures works in coordination with Energy Trust’s Planning staff, leading efforts in Programs for the development, review and approval of energy efficiency measures. This includes new offerings and measures proposed by Energy Trust Program Managers and Planning staff, Program Delivery Contractors (PDC’s) and Program Management Contractors (PMC’s). The individual in this position coordinates and oversees the development of analytic plans, scopes of work, ensuring these meet the technical and cost-effective requirements necessary to validate savings by Planning staff, while meeting the design needs of Programs to ensure an effective offering in the market. The Measure Development Manager in Programs will direct the work of PDC, PMC, and as applicable, certain in-house program staff assigned to support measure analyses; coordinate subject matter input from Energy Trust Program Managers and work in close coordination with Energy Trust Planning Engineers to manage the measure development and review processes to deliver final measure analyses as input to annual goals and budget-setting efforts. This includes the oversight and processing of numerous, complex measure analyses. This Manager role facilitates cross-group, sector and contractor engagement and communications, proactively problem solves and works directly with Planning engineering staff to define and implement process improvements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and manages the Measure Development Process through Programs in coordination with Energy Trust Planning engineering staff.
- Direct work of PMC, PDC and other contractors, managing staff dedicated to the measure review and analysis.
- Ensure scopes of work defining analytic approaches and needs are appropriate to circumstance and followed by the contractors.
- Negotiate resolution of differences in view on appropriate approaches, risk, level of detail and depth of analysis and potential changes to Statements/Scopes of work.
- As a subject matter expert, is responsible for maintenance and continuous improvement of analytic processes for measures.
- As a team lead in Programs, support the development of benefit-cost analyses of energy saving measures, leading all aspects of Program-related roles in measure analyses including tracking new ideas and guiding these through review.
- Use tracking tools to facilitate Energy Trust analytic review of measures.
- Help identify key assumptions included in the approval memos that need to be verified and through what means
- Help program managers implement best practices in energy efficiency program offerings.
- Track changes in federal and state standards, anticipate effects on baseline efficiencies, and alert staff and contractors.
- Manage research contracts and projects. Provide oversight of engineering contractors for Program Managers.
- Prepare documents for the Public Utility Commission or other public and regulatory groups.
- Anticipate how engineering analysis will be needed and used by program staff to build short- and long-term strategies to meet goals.
- Support pilot projects and pilot evaluations for emerging technologies and approaches.
- Effectively work with assigned Planning staff to identify emerging technologies and to develop research strategies to collect needed data.
- Make public presentations and facilitate discussions with regional energy efficiency stakeholders and organizations
- Serve as resource for ad hoc requests for information and engineering support.
- Perform all job functions in a safe manner.
- No direct Energy Trust staff supervision
- This position will oversee the work of contractors, suppliers, and/or vendors as necessary in the course of managing specific projects.
- Serve as the team lead in Programs for measure analysis, directing, coordinating and resolving input from assigned Energy Trust subject matter experts.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, project management, engineering or a quantitative area (e.g. physics, math, statistics) – or equivalent experience – preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of project management experience, including the management of technical contractors.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience successfully leading teams and working within team-based initiatives.
- Proven ability to facilitate and negotiate successful resolution of disagreements.
- Demonstrated, direct experience applying business and economic analysis techniques, such as life cycle cost analysis, NPV, IRR, and other quantitative economic criteria.
- Research design experience.
- Experience with utility regulation and efficiency programs is preferred.
- Proficiency with Excel; ability to review and troubleshoot complex spreadsheet analyses.
- Experience with energy modeling software, and ability to read results from energy models, is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to do a combination of communications and coordination, negotiation, documentation, and detailed technical work.
- Demonstrated ability to work at the detailed analytical level, while keeping in context and communicating strategic levels.
- Excellent organizational awareness and effectiveness, with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with technical and management level individuals with many different roles and experience levels.
- Proven ability to proactively identify complex issues and potential problems, and then engage appropriate organizational resources to develop and implement corrective actions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience applying analytic concepts pragmatically to help assess typical costs and savings for efficiency measures.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Customer service and skills experience. Must be able to interact with a diverse workforce and be comfortable working in culturally diverse settings and groups.
The above information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.
- Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
- Competitive benefits package.
- Applications accepted until position is filled.
Attn: Measure Development Manager – Programs
Energy Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer that highly values diversity and inclusion in the workplace.