Senior Database Administrator
About Energy Trust of Oregon
Energy Trust of Oregon is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to energy efficiency and renewable energy development. We serve Oregon customers of Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas and Avista, and SW Washington customers of NW Natural. Year over year Energy Trust is recognized as one of the 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon.
Clean, affordable energy for everyone.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We recognize the lack of diversity in our industry, and we actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention practices as well as our values. We believe every person and their lived experience is integral to building a vibrant culture and delivering effective services to all customers we serve. We are committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion, and we encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.
Energy Trust provides for a range of work location options, including remote, hybrid and in-office work. This position will represent Energy Trust in public settings and potentially at community events. We are open to candidates who live throughout Oregon and Washington. The Senior Database Administrator would be expected to report to the office on a quarterly basis, at minimum.
What We’re Looking For:
The Sr. Database Administrator (DBA) ensures a high level of data availability and is the primary expert on the Energy Trust Microsoft SQL Server environment. Under the direct supervision of the Infrastructure Manager, the DBA designs, installs, monitors, maintains, and performance tunes production MS SQL databases and servers. The DBA is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing best practice database security practices, database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity of data and the availability of databases and their accompanying software applications.
This position will work with the Senior Database Developer to assist in database development and deployment of data processing systems.
What You’ll Do:
- Create long-term strategic goals for production databases and MS SQL servers.
- Develop and execute an overall database architecture strategy, along with necessary data standards and practices.
- Architect and implement MS SQL high availability solutions based on needs using proven technologies.
- Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Respond to and resolve database outages, access issues and performance issues
- Develop SSIS solutions for loading data from various sources.
- Perform quarterly security audits of SQL servers, users, and roles.
- Monitor performance of all database objects and implement efficiency and reliability improvements.
- Design and implement redundant systems and procedures for disaster recovery.
- Create and implement data archiving plan to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Run performance testing procedures to ensure the proper operations of a database.
- Create and maintain documentation of database application design and architecture.
- Serve as technical leadership for database architecture and SQL development, in collaboration with Senior Database Developer.
- Work with other developers, business systems analysts on the team to provide well-recognized solutions to front and back-end business application requirements.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
- Manage databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Perform occasional evening and week-end database maintenance tasks as needed.
- Coordinate and communicate activity with external developers and stakeholders as required.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science from an accredited college or university; or equivalent education/experience in the information technology field – preferred.
- Seven years of experience as a database administrator in a rapidly changing and data intensive multi-server environment.
- Five years of previous experience in the maintenance of Microsoft SQL Server databases.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Hands-on experience with database security.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Hands-on experience with temporal tables.
- Hands-on experience with High Availability Groups.
- Hands-on experience with database health monitoring
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experience in an Agile development environment preferred.
- Must be able to interact with a diverse workforce and be comfortable working in culturally diverse settings and groups.
The above information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.
What You’ll Get:
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- Employer sponsored and paid life/disability
- 401(k) with a company contribution of 6% of your salary after 90 days of employment
- TriMet pass
- Access to health and dependent FSA/HSA accounts
- Generous paid vacation, holidays and sick days
- Paid volunteer hours
- Employee assistance program
- Career advancement opportunities
- Great colleagues and culture
- Flexibility to work from home and/or an office space at the Portland, OR location
- Work from home laptop provided
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and People of Color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Energy Trust we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace—if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and application via our website www.energytrust.org/About/careers)
Attn: Sr. Database Administrator
Energy Trust of Oregon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, mental and physical disability, political affiliation, union membership, status as a parent, military or veteran status or other non-merit based factors. We will provide reasonable accommodations throughout the application, interviewing and employment process. If you require a reasonable accommodation, contact us. Energy Trust of Oregon is an E-Verify employer. This policy is applicable to all phases of the employment relationship, including hiring, transfers, promotions, training, terminations, working conditions, compensation, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.
Energy Trust is committed to pay equity. Energy Trust is committed to fair employment practices and non-discrimination, including pay equity for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class (race, sex, veteran status, disability, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation) in the payment of wages or screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. We determine salary by completing a review of your application materials to evaluate your related education, experience and training.
Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, and certifications in the pay equity assessment to determine equitable salary placement.
Starting Compensation: $110,300 – $142,200