How to Cost Effectively Build Zero Energy Homes Webinar Series
- This event has passed.
Join EEBA and Earth Advantage for this three-part webinar series on affordable Zero Energy (ZE) home design and construction. Learn how to eliminate common barriers to Zero Energy (ZE) home construction, benefit from the rapid trend towards ZE, and earn a ‘Zero Energy Builder’ designation.
Zero Energy (ZE) homes are a big part of the future of home building business. While the materials and equipment to reach zero energy are available, designers and builders must create a bundle of energy-efficiency features that matches their climate, customers, and business constraints. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. This training will layout numerous elements of zero energy homebuilding so professionals can formulate a unique package appropriate for their situation:
- Fri, May 15 @ 12PM-2PM – Intro to ZE, Affordability, Design, Site Orientation, Energy Modeling, Certification Programs, Oregon Case Studies, Local Market & Policy Development. Guest speaker: Ryan Shanahan, Earth Advantage
- Fri, May 22 @ 12PM-2PM – Air Sealing, Insulation, Windows, Programs & Incentives. Guest speaker: Energy Trust of Oregon
- Fri, May 29 @ 12PM-2PM – Mechanical Ventilation, Heating & Cooling, Water Heating, Lights & Appliances, Renewable Energy, Marketing/Sales
Participants in this class will learn design principles, equipment options, emerging technologies, material selections, and construction practices that can be integrated into their building process. Strong emphasis is placed on ways to make the final product affordable for homebuyers. Sales and marketing ideas, localized resources, Oregon case studies, incentive programs, and next steps will also be presented.
‘Zero Energy Builder’ Designation
Participants will have the opportunity to earn EEBA’s ‘Zero Energy Builder’ designation and be listed on EEBA & Earth Advantage registries of accredited professionals. To earn the designation, attendees must pass a designation exam and have completed and passed prerequisite trainings.
12 Steps to Affordable Zero Energy Design & Construction
It’s generally accepted that improvements to the thermal envelope are fundamental. These include high levels of insulation, reduction of thermal bridges and advanced air sealing. However, significant efficiency improvements in heating and cooling equipment and the rapid drop in the cost of rooftop solar electric systems offer new options for cost-effective efficiency packages. There have never been so many ZE options to choose from. This course gives building professionals the knowledge to build ZE homes that are affordable, durable, safe, healthy, energy efficient, and comfortable to live in.
The training material is organized into 12 easy steps:
- Start with Smart Design
- Orient for Sun Tempering
- Optimize with Energy Modeling
- Super-seal the Envelope
- Super-insulate the Envelope
- Select Optimum Window Efficiency
- Ensure Clean, Fresh Air
- Specify High-performance Heating and Cooling
- Heat Water Wisely
- Select High-Efficiency Lighting
- Choose Efficient Appliances
- Plan for Renewable Energy
Each step describes the most recent developments with a strong emphasis on affordability. Other topics include: housing market drivers, ways to assess and communicate economic benefits, available incentives, along with marketing and sales concepts for ZE homes.