Skip to Main Content

Landlord Provided Cooling Space Initiative

Funding and Resources for Multifamily Properties

Applications are Open!

Reimbursement is now available for the creation of Landlord Provided Cooling Spaces. Submit your application today!

Apply Now

En Español


Following the deadly heat wave of 2021, the state of Oregon passed legislation to reduce the risk of more heat-related deaths.

This legislation kicked off a statewide effort to provide support for cooling resources at or near multifamily housing properties, especially those without in-unit cooling and who serve vulnerable populations, including:

  • Tribal housing
  • Affordable multifamily housing
  • Nonprofit-managed multifamily housing
  • Senior Housing
  • Agricultural workforce housing
  • Manufactured home parks

The Landlord-provided Cooling Space program provides funding to install cooling equipment in on-site common areas only. Funding can also be used to create a cooling space that’s within ¼ mile of the property. Other organizations are offering financial support to property managers to install in-unit cooling. Read more about in-unit cooling incentives.

Energy Trust of Oregon is offering cash rebates that can cover up to 100% of the cost for property managers of multifamily housing and manufactured home parks to purchase portable or non-portable cooling equipment for a cooling space on or near their properties.

Cooling spaces are:

  • Operated during extreme heat events, as determined by your county
  • Located in an on-site common area or in a nearby location
  • Provided and operated by the landlord
  • Maintained at a temperature of 80°F or lower
  • Able to accommodate five (5) or more residents

Please note that the cooling capacity and square footage information provided by retailers and manufacturers is not intended for extreme heat events and should therefore not be used to determine the best equipment to cool a common space for extreme heat events. Instead, you can reference the table of in-unit cooling incentives developed by Energy Trust to identify the correct unit size to meet incentive requirements for adequate cooling during extreme heat events.

How to receive rebates for setting up a cooling space

Step 1: Check your eligibility

The Landlord-provided Cooling Space program is available for multifamily buildings or common buildings in manufactured home parks anywhere in the State of Oregon.

Priority properties include:

  • Tribal housing
  • Affordable multifamily housing
  • Nonprofit-managed multifamily housing
  • Senior-focused housing
  • Agricultural workforce housing
  • Manufactured home parks

Priority properties are eligible for higher rebates; but all multifamily properties are eligible to receive incentives. See incentive details here.

Step 2: Identify your space and equipment options

  • Measure the square footage of the room you plan to use as a cooling space
  • Estimate how many people you plan to accommodate in your cooling space at one time
  • Identify your equipment options based on cooling needs using the table of in-unit cooling incentives.
    • Window or portable units can be self-installed if you have operable windows
    • If you don’t have any operable windows install a ductless heat pump, a heat pump or hard-wired AC.
    • Spaces that are larger and will accommodate more people require more cooling. Reference chart for equipment options. No more than two portable or window units can be installed in a single room.
  • If you don’t have a suitable space on your property, you can work with a nearby location to set up a cooling space for your tenants. This space must either be within ¼ mile of your property or must be accompanied by a plan to provide transportation to the site.

Year Built Cooling Space Size
(square feet)
Number of
Expected Occupants
Capacity Required
for Extreme Heat (BTU/hr)
You Can Achieve the Required Cooling with:
Quantity of
Portable A/C
Quantity of
Window A/C
Quantity of
Ductless Heat
Pump, Heat Pump
or Hard Wired AC
Before 1975 100 5 12,000 1 1 1
10 15,000 2 1 1
200 5 20,000 2 2 1
10 22,000 2 2 1
20 24,000 2 2 1
300 5 27,000 2 2 1
10 28,000 2 2 1
20 32,000 2 2 1
400 5 33,000 2 2 1
10 35,000 2 2 1
20 38,000 2 2 1
1975 or later 100 5 6,000 1 1
10 8,000 1 1
200 5 7,000 1 1
10 9,000 1 1 1
20 12,000 1 1 1
300 5 9,000 1 1 1
10 10,000 1 1 1
20 13,000 1 1 1
400 5 9,000 1 1 1
10 12,000 1 1 1
20 14,000 1 1 1

* Requires two separate windows in the same room

** Ductless heat pump and heat pump


If your property was built before 1975, and you have a 200 square foot room with two windows, you could maintain a temperature of 80 degrees with two portable or window air conditioning units and accommodate 5 to 20 people.

Energy Trust will be verifying installations to ensure that equipment is installed in common areas and operating as intended to maintain safe temperatures.

Need help? Contact us at or 1.888.889.0018 for technical assistance. If your proposed space is more than 400 square feet a program representative will assist in determining minimum capacity of your cooling equipment.

Step 3: Purchase your equipment

The Landlord-provided Cooling Space program has tiered incentives:

For priority properties, defined as Tribal housing, Affordable multifamily housing, Nonprofit-managed multifamily housing, Senior Housing, Agricultural workforce housing, and Manufactured home parks

100% of project costs reimbursed, up to a maximum of:

    • $1,400 for portable or window air conditioners (maximum of $700 per unit)
    • $7,000 for ductless heat pumps and heat pumps

For all other properties:

60% of project costs reimbursed, up to a maximum of:

    • $800 for portable or window air conditioners (maximum of $400 per unit)
    • $4,000 for ductless heat pumps and heat pumps

If your space and cooling needs require a ductless heat pump or heat pump, you will need to purchase one from an HVAC contractor who will also do the installation or Energy Trust can provide you with free technical assistance to scope out your project and help you connect with a contractor. Contact us at or 1.888.889.0018 to arrange a consultation.

Step 4: Install your equipment

For portable and window ACs please refer to the manufacturer guidelines for installation.

For heat pumps and ductless heat pumps you may want to contact an HVAC contractor or have on-site facility personnel complete the installation. Please keep in mind equipment needs to meet these BTU guidelines for extreme weather events. Standard manufacturer guidelines and typical energy efficient guidelines will not provide the amount of cooling necessary for extreme heat events and will therefore not be eligible for an incentive.

Step 5: Send in your rebate form

Complete the following steps to receive an incentive. If you purchased and installed eligible portable or window air conditioners, ductless heat pumps, heat pumps, or wired AC for your cooling space after June 1, 2022, you are eligible to receive reimbursement for the equipment.

Complete the application (DocuSign | PDF | DOC) and follow submission instructions on the form. Applications must be submitted within 90 days of installation and must include:

  1. Copies of invoices or receipts for equipment purchased and, if applicable, installation cost
  2. Photos of the installed equipment
  3. Photos of equipment packaging or manufacturer spec sheet showing make, model and cooling capacity (BTU/hr)
  4. Completed w-9 form (DocuSign | PDF)

After submitting the application you’ll receive a check within 6-8 weeks.

Step 6: Maintain your equipment for best efficiency

Read the user manual for your purchased equipment and follow manufacturer maintenance guidelines. Use the helpful links below for additional resources on how to maintain your cooling equipment.

Need additional assistance?

Schedule a call with an expert who will answer your questions and walk through available options for your space.

Please contact us at or 1.888.889.0018 to arrange a consultation.


What’s a landlord provided cooling space? 

A cooling space is a room that is accessible to a building’s tenants, is cooled to 80°F or lower and can accommodate five (5) or more people. Cooling spaces are provided and operated by the landlord during extreme heat events, and may be located in an on-site common area or in a common area at a nearby, off-site location that can accommodate at least five (5) residents.

If your property doesn’t have a common area that could be upgraded to be a cooling space, you could collaborate with a neighboring location (church, for example) and apply for funding to install cooling equipment there. Offsite cooling sites must either be within ¼ mile of your property or must be accompanied by a plan to provide transportation to the site.

Is a landlord-provided cooling space different from the emergency cooling center at the school or library in my neighborhood? 

Your county may set up a public emergency cooling center that is open to anyone to come during a heat event. A landlord-provided cooling space is only available to the residents at the property – not the general public.

The residents in my complex would prefer to stay in their own units. Is there assistance for residents or landlords to install in-unit cooling?  

The Landlord Provided Cooling Space initiative only provides funding for common area cooling, not in-unit cooling. There are other organizations that may have funding available for in-unit cooling equipment. We will link resources here as they become available.

Portland Clean Energy Fund (City of Portland only) 

Is this funding available for property managers of multifamily units that are not serving low-income or vulnerable populations? 

The Landlord Provided Cooling Spaces initiative can serve any multifamily property; however, the priority is to create common area cooling spaces in buildings where residents do not have in-unit cooling. The program has an emphasis on creating accessible cooling spaces for low-income residents residing in Tribal housing, affordable multifamily housing, nonprofit-managed multifamily housing, senior housing, agricultural workforce housing and manufactured home parks.

Do you need to be served by one of Energy Trust’s partner utilities (PGE, Pacific Power, NW Natural, Cascade Natural Gas or Avista) to apply for and receive funding through the Landlord Provided Cooling Space initiative?

No, this initiative is available to any multifamily property or manufactured home park in Oregon with a focus on properties where residents lack in-unit cooling.

If I set up a cooling space at a nearby location, like a church or open commercial space, can I use this funding to pay for transportation for my tenants?

No, this funding may only be used to purchase and install cooling equipment. Other costs, such as staffing, security, transportation, furnishings and other amenities are not eligible for funds from the Landlord-provided Cooling Space program.